At Guiseley School, we have a comprehensive intake drawn from the local area and beyond. Our ultimate aim is to make our students ready for the world of work and higher education. Guiseley School has undertaken an extensive review of the curriculum this year to ensure that it matches the needs and aspirations of all stakeholders. Subsequently, there is a strong focus on the core and EBacc subjects as we know that employers, Further Education and Higher Education institutions all value these qualifications. The majority of our students will enter our Sixth Form and progress to University or Higher Apprenticeships. We realise that this approach is not suitable for all students and we ensure that all students study at least one vocational subject so that all students are exposed to the valuable study skills these subjects bring and are better prepared for employment, apprenticeships and the entry to colleges in the local area.
The curriculum is carefully and coherently sequenced by our subject experts to ensure the mastery of powerful knowledge, concepts and skills that interlace to accelerate progression and bring about deep learning. We know that for our most disadvantaged students, equal access to a carefully planned curriculum where powerful knowledge (that which is specific, defined and taught within that subject specialism) is explicit, will be significant in improving their life chances.
Our curriculum aims to ensure students can grow and succeed through;
- Articulating the big picture of learning in each subject and making the connections across the curriculum
- A broad range of learning experiences
- Ensuring creative, dynamic and reflective learning
- Delivering of challenging content and concepts
- Focusing on the acquisition of knowledge and skills which needs to be mastered in order
- to make progress across the subjects
- Ensuring a deep understanding and love of learning is developed
- Developing employability skills through the careful mapping of a wide range of life
- Developing the whole child through our extensive enrichment programme.
Our curriculum has been developed across the three Key Stages in order to stimulate interest and motivate pupils across a broad and balanced range of subjects. Please see our curriculum pages, and should you have any further questions please contact Ms McGirr, Assistant Headteacher, via the school reception or by email at [email protected]