Cambridge Technical Level 3 (extended certificate) Sport and Physical Activity
Examination Board: OCR Cambridge Technical
Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate in Sport and Physical Activity is equivalent to one A level. The course is designed to cover a wide variety of sport related topics such as physiology & anatomy and sports psychology. Students will be assessed in a variety of ways throughout the two years of the course. It offers an alternative assessment approach to the traditional set of exams at the end of Year 13 and looks to help students develop skills for the work place such as delivering presentations and completing research projects.
Learners will take five units
- Body systems and the effects of physical activity
- Sports coaching and activity leadership
- Sports organisation and development
- Sports psychology
- Sports Injuries and rehabilitation
These units will give learners an understanding of sport in the wider contexts of coaching and leadership, anatomy and physiology, the body’s short and long-term responses to physical activity and the framework of sport in the UK and the organisations involved. Learners will also develop transferable skills such as planning, communication, adaptability and leadership.
- Body systems and the effects of physical activity (70 mark exam (90 minutes))
- Sports coaching and activity leadership (assignment based portfolio of work (includes practical element))
- Sports organisation and development (60 mark exam (60 minutes))
- Sports psychology (assignment based portfolio of work)
- Sports Injuries and rehabilitation (assignment based portfolio of work)
This, combined with other qualifications, will provide learners with the skills, knowledge and understanding to progress into Higher Education on a sport-related programme such as, Sport and Physical Education, Sport Science, Sport Coaching and Development or Sport and Leisure Management. It will also allow them to choose non-sports related degree programmes.
Students who study PE are perceived as being excellent communicators, organisers, team members and leaders.