The students are following the Pearson Edexcel GCSE Drama course and are assessed on three components.
Component 1 Devising - 40% of GCSE.
- This is a non-examined assessment unit.
- Students create, rehearse and perform an original piece of drama and are assessed as a performer or designer.
- Students complete written coursework a (2000-word max) analysing and evaluating their practical work
Component 2: Text in Performance – 20% of GCSE.
- This unit is examined by a live visiting examiner.
- Students perform two extracts from a play (monologues or duologues or combination or both) either as a performer or designer (lights/sound/costume/set)
Component 3: Theatre Makers in Practice – 40% of GCSE (written paper lasting 1 hour 45 minutes)
- Students study a set text (DNA by Denis Kelly) and answer a range of questions as an actor, director and designer. They also answer two questions analysing and evaluating a piece of live theatre they have seen.
Assessment in Year 11
Y11 PPEs - WC 7th November and WC 27th February.
The practical element of Component 1 took place at the end of Y10/start of Y11 and written coursework will be completed and handed in by the end of the Autumn Term.
Component 2 examination will take place in March.
Intervention and Extra Support
To further support the students in their Drama studies we will be offering some targeted intervention sessions for Y11 students. These intervention sessions will have a specific focus and students will be invited to them. We will communicate home when these sessions are if/when your child is invited. It would be much appreciated if you can encourage your child to attend these sessions if invited.